Monday, October 13, 2008

Cheerleading....It really is a sport....

Dang. I will admit it (and if you know me at all you know admitting I was wrong about anything usually takes an act of God). Cheerleading IS a sport. I absolutely disliked cheerleaders in high school. They were always so happy and cheery (imagine that!) and....you know....they were cheerleaders. I was an athlete....therefore I was better than them 'cuz that was just the natural order of things. WRONG.

I was hired to take action shots of a Valley High School Cheerleader not too long ago. I, of course, being the professional that I am, kicked out my long repressed feeling of cheerleaders and was actually excited about doing something I had never done and seeing how things turned out. Turns out...I got schooled. Cheerleaders are seriously athletes! Amanda (the girl I was hired to shoot) is a flyer....I had no idea what that really meant until I got there. You know what I learned? She stinkin' flies! I know. Duh, right? Anyway, it was a huge learning experience for me and I now have a very serious respect for cheerleaders and what they do. It is very much an under appreciated sport...I used to be at the very front of that line. I caught myself saying as I was taking the shots, "YOU GO GIRL!!!!...FLY!!! YEAH!!!" Here are my favs from that shoot....

Meet Amanda....



I don't know about you but I trust NO ONE to catch me! That's crazy... :)




Check out her pony tail....she was coming down fast...



I so love learning new things. All you cheerleaders out there....you have my utmost and long overdue respect.

JC is my BFF!

No comments: