Friday, October 24, 2008

Breast cancer, presidential election and Psalm 27...

Random thoughts on a few things I just feel like talkin' about:

Breast Cancer
Tomorrow is the Susan G. Komen "Race for the Cure" here in Des Moines. With my crazy busy schedule I won't be running this year....wish I had thought in advance to put that on the calendar....next year maybe. And I probably should start training again. I don't know if I could even run three miles these days! :) Anyway, today at work we are celebrating Breast Cancer Awareness Month with a pink food contest, best decorated office contest, etc. I wore my pink shirt and brought my pink almond bark pretzels in to share with my co-workers. It has been one of those weird months....two people in my office have or are recovering from breast cancer. I really should pull my head out of the sand and go get that baseline mamo that is two years over due. Chill. Don't send me any "OMG, YOU NEED TO GO TODAY" emails. I know, I know.

Presidential Election
I read a blog today that I follow regularly (See "Zawisza Tribune" on my blog list on the right) and here is what it said about our upcoming presidential election. If you know me at all you know that I am N.O.T. into politics and as you read above I have a "head in the sand" mentality about things. This was AWESOME....

TOP 10 PREDICTIONS NO MATTER WHO WINS THE ELECTION

1. The Bible will still have all the answers.
2. Prayer will still work.
3. The Holy Spirit will still move.
4. God will still inhabit the praises of His people.
5. There will still be God-anointed teaching and healing.
6. There will still be singing of praise to God.
7. God will still pour out blessings upon His people.
8. There will still be room at the Cross.
9. Jesus will still love you.
10. Jesus will still save the lost.

Amen to that....

Psalm 27
So....as I think about breast cancer and our upcoming election (they really have nothing to do with each other but that's how my mind works), I am reminded of one of my favorite scriptures....Psalm 27. God placed this scripture on my heart not long ago when I was struggling with a lot of things...my past, my future, my heart and my purpose. I will never forget the relief I felt when I read this for the first time. It was God reminding me that He is in control and He will protect me always if I just put my faith in Him. These words remind me that no matter the economy, no matter who is choosen to run our country and no matter if our bodies are filled with illness, pain or otherwise, He is my protector and my shield.

"The LORD is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?

When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh,
when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall.

Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me, even then will I be confident.

One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek Him in His temple.

For in the day of trouble He will keep me safe in His dwelling;
He will hide me in the shelter of His tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.

Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me;
at His tabernacle will I sacrafice with shouts of joy;
I will sing and make music to the LORD.

Hear my voice when I call, O LORD;
be mericful to me and answer me.

My heart says of you, "See His face!"
Your face, LORD, I will seek.

Do not hide your face from me,
do not turn your servant away in anger;
You have been my helper.

Do not reject me or forsake me, O God my Savior.
Though my father and mother forsake me,
The LORD will receive me.

Teach me your way, O LORD;
lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors.

Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
for false witnesses rise up against me, breathing out violence.

I am still confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.

WAIT FOR THE LORD;
BE STRONG AND TAKE HEART
AND WAIT FOR THE LORD."

JC is my BFF....is He yours???

No comments: