Wednesday, November 19, 2008

So I was thinkin....

I know. Dangerous. Stick with me though....

I was thinking about how God works. How He answers prayers and opens doors. Then how He sometimes closes doors and chooses not to answer a prayer. I have often struggled with this....knowing if a door is really closed or if I should keep praying that same unanswered prayer. I wonder if He ever gets TIRED of hearing me ask for something He knows I don't need or isn't in line with His plan. It would be like a nagging child asking for candy every time you go to the grocery store:

Kiddo: "Candy, momma?"
Momma: "No."
Kiddo: "Why?"
Momma: "'Cuz I said so." (my favorite line, by the way)
Kiddo: "BUT WHY?"
Momma: "Argh...."

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat again.

Now I don't know about you but it makes me NUTS when my kids ask for things over and over again and never hear me say no. I suppose that's how it is for God. I ask over and over and He just keeps closing the door. Just keeps listening and being patient with me....I guess if I knew what He knows about my life ahead of me, I might be patient too! :)

I guess what I have been thinking about really is how when one is mature (or more mature) in their relationship with Him they somehow recognize when a door is closing. Instead of banging their head against that door (or in my case breaking the window and reaching in to unlock from the inside) they recognize it's closed and instead of standing there staring at it, they keep moving, keep walking and trying other doors. Man, that's hard.

"I want THIS door God. Don't you see? Don't you hear my prayers? Don't you WANT me to have this? WHY?" and so the conversation goes. I sound like a child. BUT there is hope for me. I'm learning. With this last door that just SLAMMED (like a mad teenager!), I've learned. God is telling me to keep walking.

Then it hit me. God knows the desires of my heart....even when I truly don't. He knows my deepest desperate need...even when I don't. It is not my job to question Him about why certain doors are open and others are closed. My job is to praise Him at all times, in all things. NOT just when things are good. God showed me this today....."I call on the LORD in my distress, and he answers me." ~ Psalm 120:1. Then He showed me this...."In everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:18.

So....I will stop whining and stomping my feet to get that darn door back open. I will trust that God knows what He's doing and keep walking. Walking and learning. Praising Him all the way.

GOD IS GOOD!

JC is my BFF....

Then here it is. The door to NOWHERE....the one I keep trying to open goes nowhere.


** UPDATE ** One of the SMARTEST ladies I know just made a comment about this post on my FaceBook and I absolutely have to share. She said this "......then you close your eyes and see if you feel the breeze.......of another opened window or door..........." I LOVE IT. With patience and some practice I bet I'll be able to feel that breeze. THANKS, MY FRIEND. THANKS.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading this I went and read alot of your blog.Sounds like you are really struggling with something or someone. After reading your words I cant help wonder if God opens the door and you keep hold it shut.

Sounds like what i felt with my husband a few years ago. I found out I was pushing out the door God opened for me many times.I found out that he was the most important thing in my life aside from God.

Blessings

Frisbies Forever said...

You know this is something I have thought about for a long time. A lot of times I ask for understanding. Eventually I will see why it wasn't good for me or why something was better for me that I didn't recognize until later. A friend of mine just told me that she had been praying for an answer for 40 years and it was finally revealed to her why. He is amazing, we just have to remember it may not be no, it just maybe not now. Trusting He who knows and created all knows what we need. We with our limited perspectives... So glad he is in charge. I love your analogies! They are perfect. I see myself clearly as well.