Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Blessings....

I had the pleasure of shooting a family of 51 (yes....51) on Sunday. The premise for the shoot was not a happy one...the patriarch of the family has cancer (again) and has not been given much time. His entire family came from all over to be there for a family reunion and to celebrate his life.

Now, I don't know about you but doing "end of life" photos is not my idea of a good time. It was a huge blessing to me, though. Larry and his family love each other. I learned a lesson....it doesn't matter who you belong to, which parent is yours and which parent is your step. It doesn't matter, because you are family. No family is perfect, this one either. BUT....they came together in what is a very hard time for all of them, I'm sure, and laughed. They played and talked and hugged and all that good stuff that happens when family gets together.

It was absolutely my pleasure to be a part of this day. I met a man who wanted to show me his life....the pictures on the wall in the "party barn", the land he owned, the grandchildren and great-grands that are "his"....all of it. I got to hang with, for just a small period of time, a man that has lived his life and has no regrets. I met his wife, who very clearly loves him and their family. A woman who is exactly who she is and could care less if you like it or not. My kind of lady.

I don't know where Larry is going after he passes on. I do know that he still has time to figure that out. God is there, waiting for him to answer the knock on his heart if he hasn't already done so. My God is so big....and I know He loves Larry and each member of that family unconditionally. Run to Him, Larry. I'd love to get to know you better in heaven.

Thank you Wickersham family! For allowing this sinner saved by grace to be a part of your family for just a few short hours. You have truly, honestly changed my heart forever.

Enjoy the video and don't forget to turn off the music at the bottom of the blog before you hit play.

P.S. Mr. Larry gives "the finger" in a few shots. Don't let that bother you. He is who he is and all you can do is smile..... And yes....that is a moonshine still in the last picture. :0)

My favorite of the day....me and Larry. What a cool, cool soul. God bless you, Mr. Wickersham! May your remaining days be filled to the brim with love and laughter.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." ~ Joshua 1:9

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Larry looks a lot like my older brother...what a hoot! Love your photography!