Wednesday, June 24, 2009

It's happening....

....and I can't stop it.

We've been getting a ton of college information for Alli in the mail these last few months. One college in particular has the corner on marketing by mail. Makes sense to me why their tuition is so high....they spend all that money on mail pieces that I just toss in the garbage!

Anyway, killing trees is another post.

Recruiting my daughter for college is this post.

It's happening and there is NOTHING I can do to stop it. I can, however, stick my head in a bag when I start to hyperventilate at the thought of my baby leaving and being an adult. That is, AFTER I pull my head out of the sand for a split second to see what is happening around me.

Argh. Who said our kiddos get to grow up, anyway? That person needs to be tortured. Ok...I kid, I kid. I'm just THAT mom not looking forward to THAT kid going to college!

I don't want her to grow up because I want to keep her around forever. I don't want her to move away because I will miss her. I don't want her to be on her own because I will be lonely. See the pattern?

This is about ME, ya know. Selfish old mom not wanting anything to change....even if it is for the better.

Guess I should just get used to it. She is entering her junior year of high school and it has only just begun. I can make it a fun process for everyone or go kicking and screaming all the way. Unfortunately, if I go into a prolonged state of temper tantrum it won't stop her from growing up.

Pooper Snickel.

So....I get to choose. I will choose to be proud of my kiddo for growing up and making good choices. I will choose to support her, coach her and guide her in the best way I can. Here is Mark's response to me when I told him I CAN'T HANDLE THIS:

"...let's look at this from a different perspective. These letters and emails are confirmation of your success as a mother. You have raised her right and positioned her for success in life after high school. You have succeeded as a mom. GOOD JOB!"

So now you see why I like this guy? He IS right (in an annoying "I WANNA HAVE A PITY PARTY AND YOU WON'T LET ME!" kind of way). I should be celebrating her future and looking forward with pride at the world she has before her.

And I WILL remember these words and give them right back to him when Sarah is preparing for college. I'll be just as supportive, honey. :0)

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." ~ Proverbs 22:6

No comments: