Thursday, May 12, 2011

Caps and gowns have a whole new meaning....


I remember when I graduated from high school 21 years ago this month. I had a large class (326 to be exact) and our ceremony was held in the UNI Dome at the University of Northern Iowa. It was kinda boring, actually. Music, clapping, music, walk across the stage, clapping, music, speech, clapping, blah, blah, blah. I got home that night, threw my cap on my bed, shrugged my shoulders and went on about the business of being a "real adult". Never crossed my mind again to be honest. I graduated high school....so what?

Today I have an entirely different perspective.

Today is my daughter's last day of high school with the grad ceremony on Sunday. I see things much differently this side of the party! No longer is it just business as usual. Graduation is a BIG DEAL!

I'm bursting with pride and fear all at the same time. I will miss tucking her in at night (I actually still do that and she's almost 19!) BUT....have no fear.....I have a plan! Each night she gets 3-4 "tuck in's" to build up and save so that when she moves in August she will have enough stored up until she's home on Christmas break. When I told her that is what I was doing, she laughed (I was expecting an eye roll!).

And when I went to walk away the first night, you know what she said? "Do it again, Momma.....I need more!"

Even if she is old enough to be a "real adult", she still needs and wants her momma to tuck her in. That right there will get me through the roller coaster of emotions surely to come in the next couple of months.

Thank you, God, for a heart that can and does swell over with love and affection for my children. :0)

1 comment:

Connie said...

And this year I'll travel across the U.S. to witness a grandson's graduation...how can it be?...time has wings and flies fast.